Did you know that only 5% of the world’s production of oats are for human consumption, which begs the question- how are the other 95% of oats used?

A 2007 study found that oats “contain a number of active compounds, including minerals, vitamins and Avenanthramides demonstrating anti-irritant properties”1. For many years oats have been perceived as a cereal food only eaten by your average Scotsman, but as more research and development is done into the properties of oats and their capabilities, the more we are likely to come across them

Throughout August we have used the hashtag #FindOat across all of our social media channels. This aimed to encourage our follower base to look out for oat ingredients in their own beauty and personal care products by looking for the ingredient name ‘Avena sativa’. Many were surprised at where oats had been unknowingly included in their favourite products, often contributing towards the anti- redness and soothing claims made in sensitive skin products.

This encouraged our campaign to explore the applications of oats for everyday use. Oats are formulated within hair shampoos and conditioners; anti-irritant pet balms and shampoo; pressed powders; BB creams and body lotions just to name a few. The oat ingredients provided by Oat Cosmetics are multifunctional and can provide a wide range of benefits for both formulators wishing to make these types of products as well as health benefits for the end user.findoat image


When using our Oat COM colloidal oatmeal, formulators see an enhanced colloidal activity at a wide range of temperatures with a 3–10% inclusion rate. Consumers benefit from an anti-aging and moisturisation effects on dry skin.

Our Oat Lipid e is clear with high levels of phospholipids. Consumers benefit from high rates of absorption and the inclusion of vitamin E as well as being good for use on sensitive skin types and it is gluten free!

Our Oat SILK is effective as a textural base imparting smooth and silky skin sensory effects by reducing greasiness. It is also easy to formulate because of its small particle size. Skin health is assisted for consumers through the natural lipids and it has brightening and mattifying effects on the skin tone, perfect for colour cosmetics.

We have created an infographic to summarise everything covered within this section of the campaign and to highlight where consumers are able to #FindOat ingredients in their beauty and personal care products.


The second part of our #FindOat campaign ran a worldwide focus with a fact, new use of oats or an oat event in relation to a daily showcased continent. Oats have always been popular across the USA due to the promotion of big name brands like Aveeno. Increasingly the natural and oat trend is spreading to Asia with an increase of 1323 new oat based products launched in 2014 up from 2013. In Cosmetics Asia has reported that natural and organics will be at the forefront of their exhibition, taking place in November.

Our #FindOat focus may be coming to an end but don’t forget to continue looking for oats in all of your beauty and personal care products using the ingredient name Avena sativa. You can also keep up to date with the featured events and where you can meet us and our representatives around the globe through our calendar infographic.

Make sure you’re following us on our social media channels Twitter,  Facebook, Google+ and LinkedIn for more news!






1. Banas A, Debski H, et al. Lipids in grain tissues of oat (Avena sativa):differences in content, time of deposition, and fatty acid composition. Journal of Experimental Botany,Vol 58, No. 10, pp. 2463-2470, 2007. 12. Youngs VL. Oat Lipids. Cereal Chem. 55(5):591-597.